Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Return of the Equinox


Nova Scotia Fall 2002 - Photo by Charles Elliott/Beautyseer

Fall comes and I who was to be
an Equinox child now lay claim
to Virgo ways, though my soul
still lives in Libra.

Light changes, stands still
for a moment and I wonder
why I couldn’t wait for Autumn
instead was born on an afternoon

the moon in its dark phase,
the mystic’s vision inward
the Virgin gathering wheat
instead of scales weighing.

I anticipate this turn of season
this descent into darkness
to harvest, to ruminate, to learn,
to understand how to let go

a red leaf falling
falling a great distance
in order to return to the land
whose stars I was born under.

© 2012 Joanne Elliott


My mother left the U.S. when she met my father, a Canadian from Nova Scotia. Near the end of her pregnancy with me they were visiting her relatives in Detroit…I guess I decided that is where I wanted to be born and so was born two weeks early. Many years later I returned to the U.S., though born here I had never lived here until thirteen years ago. I moved to So Cal when I met Charles/Beautyseer online.

This poem is dedicated to my parents and to both of my homelands. 

26 comments:

  1. Hello, Joanne :)

    I love learning more about my poet friends. Your poem and story are wonderful, beautiful work. I'm so glad I experienced your response to the NWCU posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beth! And thank you for coming up with a great idea! I look forward to reading everyone's posts later today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to learn more about you Joanne. What a beautiful poetic description of the season and signs of your birth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely crafted Joanne! Really like the texture and feel of what you wrote! Especially the last part:

    "a red leaf falling
    falling a great distance
    in order to return to the land
    whose stars I was born under."

    Kudos,
    Roger ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what really speaks to me:

    I anticipate this turn of season
    this descent into darkness
    to harvest, to ruminate, to learn,
    to understand how to let go

    This is my Autumn...so perfectly it's another round of goosebumps...you guys have been pulling those shivers out of me all day. And now, you're my Motor City Maven! :) Loved this Joanne! And looking forward to sharing this new season with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...Motor City Maven...love it! I'm glad you liked. I'm looking forward to sharing this new season with you, too.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous :) really enjoyed reading you poem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting observations and nice to hear the background to the poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely imagery! I was born on the last day of Gemini, on the cusp of a Cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something magical about the cusp...the in between...the twilight. Thank you for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  9. I'm a virgo - but have to go with the shades of autumn - lovely write Joanne - lib

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow Virgo. Thanks for reading and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  10. There is a beautiful flow and sense of continuity here, connecting you to your younger self and to those you love. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi Emanuel. Good to see you here too! I haven't been around dVerse much lately. Have you been posting on dVerse much? I'll be by to read your poem soon. :-)

      Delete
  12. a season of understanding to let go...and in such a beautiful way...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Artful and revealing storytelling. This seasonal change in particular seems to inspire in ways that others do not. Maybe it's that thought of letting go. Very fine work here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the moon, the golden and red colors, the falling leaf all I believe have symbolism in your life your world
    and you are in So Cal where a few leaves turn yellow

    ReplyDelete